Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Samsung RFG298AARS Refrigerator portion not

Customer Question

Samsung RFG298AARS Refrigerator portion not cooling.(Evaporator coil not getting cold at all) We had a refrigerant leak in the top refrigerator evaporator coil which slowly stopped cooling of the freezer and then refrigerator. Samsung recommended replacement
of both evaporator coils and compressor that was done yesterday with new parts. We also pressurized the system with nitrogen and checked to make sure repair was done correctly before rechanging the system with refrigerant. We also rechecked for leaks again
with ultrasonic leak detector. VERY IMPORTANT before the above repair was done, the refrigerator section was most definitely cooling (not enough due to the refrigerant leak), but the evaporator coil had a little frost on it. So refrigerant was most definitely
circulating thru that coil. Right now the refrigerator evaporator no longer getting cool at all. The freezer evaporator coil works fine and freezer goes to set temperature. The fan on the refrigerator evaporator coil working fine. (checked by placing magnets
on the two door switches and can see it run)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue is with refrigerant flow, either a leak or the refrigerant cannot flow to the evaporator. I suspect there may be a restriction to the evaporator, usually a solder joint that was sealed accidentally. When you pressurized the system with nitrogen, did you pressurize one side to see if it would equalize or pressurize both sides together?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello, thank you for your response. I had pressurized both sides together. I am also suspecting the high side line maybe clogged with braze. Is there any other possible causes you could think of?
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

No, you likely have a restriction. Check the solder joints, you will probably find one plugged.