Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

GE ZISB42D monogram refrig/freezer problem
, the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** - GE ZISB42D monogram refrig/freezer problem
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the freezer side of the unit has a problem which has resulted in spoiled food twice in the past two weeks .. it appears that it goes into a defrost cycle that then extends too long resulting in spoiled food .. at some point the freezer begins to cool again normally ..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Can you get the complete model number off the tag on the unit?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
the model is ZISB42D and SN is GMO380030 GE monogram series

There are a couple more letters after the D I need them

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The unit is 19 years old and the tag inside is unreadable. I have GE service receipts that reflect model # ***** for an icing kit repair and ZIB42DWR for a compressor replacement

Ok the most likely issue that is causing that problem is a bad thermostat, the contact wears out in the operating thermostat, then the unit will shut down for extended periods without turning back on then it you check it or turn the dials or bump it it may run again fine. The issue is the parts for that unit are mostly obsolete. Here is the thermostat number, but it is also obsolete. It may be time to check for a new one.

WR50X0108

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks