Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I put a new heating element into an old maytag model DE406.

Customer Question

I put a new heating element into an old maytag model DE406. As I was putting it back together the top fell off and several wires disconnected. Where can I find an easy to understand wiring diagram?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

OK the wiring diagram is in the console did you look for it there yet?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've seen it. I thought you would be able to supply a video or something easier to follow.

Which wires came off?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm sorry, it's not my dryer. I'm trying to fix it for a friend. I'll go there tomorrow take notes.

OK then let me know and I can assist, just tell the color of wires that came off.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** back to you tomorrow.

ok

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
HI Guru, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I have a thick yellow wire with a black stripe, a purple wire, a yellow wire with a green stripe. They seem to go on the dial/timer. Further down there is a green and a black wire and a mechanism with two terminals. I have pictures of both areas and the wires. Thanks in advance for your help.

Watch this video and that should be the wiring to it

CLICK HERE

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I guess I was not very clear. I marked the wires when I replaced the heating element, I know where they go. The wires I need help with are from the timer (purple, yellow black stripe, yellow green stripe) and the cycling thermostat (green and black). These wires got disconnected when the top fell off as I was putting it back together.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 11 months ago.

Can you upload a picture of the wiring diagram here so I can help you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here you go.

Thanks for the pics but they are so blurry I can not read them

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, I hope these are better.

I am not sure what camera you are using but check the pic, it is just a blur. I need to be able to see it detailed very clear...sorry.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm using the camera on my iPad, maybe these will be better.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are not much better. I don't know how to improve the photo quality.

DO you have a good smart phone or better camera that you could take them with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took more pics with my daughters phone which came out much better. Unfortunately I will have to send them to you tomorrow, sorry.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hopefully these pictures are better
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Appliance Guru, we took pictures with another phone but could not send them because the file was too large. We then shrunk them and we we able to send I hope they are clear enough. Rick

OK got it and can read it now which part do you need to connect?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Three wires that appear to go to the timer. Yellow with black stripe, purple and yellow with green stripe. Two wires that appear to go to the cycling thermostat. Green and black.

DO you see any markings on the timer there should be....There should be labels on the time by the contacts. Tell me what marks you see.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not there now. I will get back to you this afternoon.

OK

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have attached drawing a of the timer and thermostat, pardon my artwork.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Appliance Guru, Have you seen my post from 3:46pm?

Yes I see it, you need to put the PURPLE wire on the PU terminal at the timer the YELLOW/BLACK wire on the YB terminal on the timer. Then you should see a RED wire that would go to one side of the cycling thermostat and there should be another red jumper wire to go from the other side of the cycling thermostat to a heater post.