Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Duet Sport washer was in the middle of a spin cycle. All

Customer Question

My Duet Sport washer was in the middle of a spin cycle. All of a sudden I heard a pop and then an extremely loud grinding sound. I stopped the cycle immediately. I am afraid to start it up again. Any ideas what might have happened?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I'd check the drain pump catch in case there is something stuck in the pump causing the grinding. If not, then you'll need to start the washer up again and check to see if the noise is coming from the pump or the back of the washer. If it's coming from the back of the washer, or main bearing went out and that's a $600-700 repair. If it's coming form the pump and you cleared the pump, replaced the pump.

There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch.