Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an 8-year-old Maytag dishwasher that suddenly won't

Customer Question

I have an 8-year-old Maytag dishwasher that suddenly won't turn on. Before I go out an buy a new dishwasher, does it make sense to try to repair it? I live in Vancouver, WA.
Barbara K
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the dishwasher won't turn on at all, it means that your door latch assembly has failed, the control board has failed, or the junction box has shorted out. Make sure the dishwasher is getting power first. If so, remove the kick panel below the door and look for the 3" x 3" sheet metal box. Remove the cover and you can see the junction box wire connections to the dishwasher. These wires will often short out, melt, or get loose. Check all the connections and if they are faulty or burnt, cut the wires back and re-wire the junction box (with the power disconnected to the dishwasher of course). If everything checks good--you're down to either a bad control board or a bad latch. The latch would be worth fixing but the control board wouldn't so it's hard to say whether it would be worth calling someone out to look at the unit or not.