MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

9 year old Dacor ER30D range (gas cooktop with electric

Customer Question

9 year old Dacor ER30D range (gas cooktop with electric oven). Used the self clean function a couple of weeks ago. You now attempt to use the oven (convection mode, haven't tried anything else), the oven "pops" and trips the 30 amp c/b. I've seen info
on dacor ovens that have a heat limiting reset (red) button, but I was thinking this most likely cause the "pop" and c/b trip. Sounds more like a short somewhere.. Recommendations?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I meant to say "this most likely WOULDN'T cause the pop and c/b trip".
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 12 months ago.

You have a short here and the only way you will find it is to look for it. Start at the connections to the elements as that is the most probable area. You may need to get behind the range if the wires are too short and make any repairs needed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Had to leave town for the week. Will start troubleshooting this coming weekend. Will follow up with my findings.

OK, but you know what to do now on your time as you have the answer from me now as to what needs to be done.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did a little more troubleshooting.First of all, I wish I had a wiring diagram and some electrical specs on this range. The closest information I could find was for a Dacor Technical Manual circa 2004 that contained some electrical diagramming for an "RSD" model. Looked pretty close, but didn't show double ribbons in the broil and bake elements, so it appears to be close, but who knows what components have changed since they came out with my model.I'll restate my original problem - when I attempt to use "Pure Convection", I get a rather significant pop and the c/b trips.Trouble shooting process so far:
1. I restored power to the range.
2. I set the clock and all indications on the oven control display appear normal. The gas cooktop works normally.
3. I tested the broil modes first. The upper elements heat up and everything appears normal.
4. I tested both "Bake" and "Convection Bake". Here, I found the broiler elements heating, but the bake elements were not heating. The display showed the unit in preheat mode, which I assumed both the broil and bake elements should have been heating (the bake elements didn't heat). Let the oven come to temp (325) on its own, which it did seeming slow. Temp stabilized at 325 (Preheat mode off), I opened the door to let the interior cool, then closed it. At this point, only the broil element would work.
5. Turned off everything. Let cool. Removed power from range. Pulled the bake element. Visually checked the ribbons and their connections. Visual check looked good. Tested resistance - both ribbons tested approx. 35 ohms.
6. Turned range back on. Just to be curious, with the bake element removed and selecting both "Bake" and "Convection Bake", checked voltage on the bake element powers leads found voltage stable approx. 30 volts for both bake element ribbon leads.This is as far as I've proceeded. The oven has a 3rd element, "Convection only" that surrounds the convection fan. I believe this only comes on when you select "Pure Convection" (I can't confirm this since I have no technical info on the unit). I have hesitated to try the oven again in "Pure Convection", since this is what caused the "pop" and c/b trip the previous two attempts.BTW, I'm not an electronics expert, but have a lot of experience with residential wiring and low voltage wiring of aircraft.Any thoughts?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 11 months ago.

Check the wiring to the convection element. That is pretty much what I suggested you do in my very first reply.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand. I wasn't looking forward to pulling the range out of it's nest, but you're right, it's time. This may take me a day or so, as I have to work around my schedule and my wife's needing to prepare meals for our family. Thanks and hopefully I'll return soon with something more definite.

ok.

I would appreciate a rating here for the time spent explaining what to do.