Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Ge profile oven pt916bm1bb will not hold set temp on bake

Customer Question

ge profile oven pt916bm1bb will not hold set temp on bake but will on convection I have replaced thermastate and main controle still not fixed
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If the temperature won't hold on bake but does on convection, it sounds like your bake element itself has failed and needs to be replaced. The convection element and broil element are different elements. All the elements are used to preheat the oven so that the oven will heat quicker but once it reaches temperature, only the particular element is used to maintain temperature (so for example on bake only the bake element is used after preheat).

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bake element top or bottom
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The top element is the broil element, the back element behind the back wall is the convection element, and the bottom element is the bake element. So you need the bake element.