MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

There is a flap attached to the left door of my Whirlpool

Customer Question

Hi, there is a flap attached to the left door of my Whirlpool Gold side-by-side refrigerator. I don't know exactly what happened to it, but when I go to close the door it doesn't flap back like it is supposed to. I have to manually move it then the door will close. When I look at the plastic hinges that hold it on the door and allow it to flap back and forth, I see that the bottom one came off its piece…it appears like I could just lift the flap up and re-insert it, but it won't lift…what do I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 12 months ago.

The mullion is screwed to the door in the middle area- you need to remove the 2 screws and then you can reseat it. It is not unusual for these to break, so if it still does not actuate properly after you do this then just replace it. part#12722813AP

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That is not what it looks like, there is one weird screw in the middle, I will try to attach a picture. I don't seem to have a tool that will unscrew this, what now?

Use a small socket to remove that screw- it's just like a bolt head. There may be screws under the 2 rubber covers as well. In any event that is where it is secured to the door.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
there are no screws under the rubber covers, and I tried all my sockets, is it a special size? Can you tell?

I do not know the exact size- that's something that is not detailed to that exactness in the look-up and if I were there I would just try my sockets until I got the right one to fit. It is a metric size if you are having no luck with domestic sizes, so you would need to get yourself a small set to remove it. This all boils down to removing a screw, so you now need to obtain the proper tool to remove it.

No rating after all this back and forth over a screw?