John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have just received the thermal fuse that we talked about

Customer Question

I have just received the thermal fuse that we talked about on my Kenmore Electric range back on Oct. 19th it had to be ordered in and it took 6 weeks for it to arrive anyway the thermal fuse part ####-##-####and it to had no continuity so I returned it
and had to wait a couple of days for it to arrive and it to has no continuity. If you refer back to our conversation in Oct. you had indicated if there was no continuity then the fuse needed replacement I am at a complete loss is this thermal fuse suppose
to have continuity or not. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 12 months ago.

Hi, yes that is a thermal cutout switch, (TCO), is is closed (has continuity until a certain temp is reached and then it opens to kill power to whatever it supplied power to) so yes, here is a video that shows how to test one with a meter, its not a stove cutout but its still the same).

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Joe I have purchased 2 of these switches part #318005229 and they have no continuity I have watched and used the video you provided back in Oct so I could locate and remove the old one. when I put the multi-tester on ohm and short out the +p &-n the meter goes all the way over to the right however when I test the thermal fuse and that is both new ones that I purchased I do not get any reading at all I guess my question is have I purchased 2 faulty switches.I am at a complete loss. Also I am unable to find anyway to view the video you indicated in your last responce

DIAGRAM - Here is the wiring diagram for that model , as you can see coming from the out position of the control board the line should have voltage all the way to the elements, the only thing that would cause the break in voltage to the elements is that thermal cutout, as you can see in the diagram is should have continuity, its a safety so that if the oven overheats it kills the power to the elements that is the only point in time that thermal cut out should not have continuity, so I do not know what to tell you about getting two bad ones. Also here is the video I linked - VIDEO