Mike G
Mike G, Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a Gaggenau VL 031 -707 downdraft vent, which uses a

Customer Question

I have a Gaggenau VL 031 -707 downdraft vent, which uses a GB 031 707 blower in my basement. I inherited the vent from previous owner of my house. Recently the controller on VL 031-707 broke. I want to connect the remote blower GB 031 707 directly to a wall plug. It has two black and two white wires from VL031-707. Can I assume I can connect the two black wires to 120 V, two white wires to Neutral. Will that work? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike G replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Go ahead and connect them by color. Let me know the results. The worst that can happen is you'll trip a breaker.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Mike. It tripped the circuit. Here is the whole story. The other night,as a test, I was using wire nuts to combine two blacks and two whites to a single black and white wire and directly insert the wire into a wall plug. The motor started and went to full speed. I was excited and thought the idea worked. So I added a switch between the wall plug and the motor inputs so I can turn it on/off. This time, I connected two blacks to black, one of the whites, to neutral, the other white, I know supposed to be ground, to ground. But every time I turned on the switch, it tripped the breaker. I don't understand why this was different from my test. So I recombined the two white wires all to neutral as I did in my test, I still tripped the breaker each time I flipped the switch. Can you explain why and how I should proceed? Thanks
Expert:  Mike G replied 12 months ago.

White to white and the switch goes between the blacks and the black to the motor.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Mike, yes. That is how I wired the switch. But it tripped the breaker
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
To be specific, the single pole switch is between the black and the blacks to the motor. The whites are wired together
Expert:  Mike G replied 12 months ago.

Do I understand you correctly. You have 2 sets of wires that when connected are OK, bug when you connect a blower motor the breaker trios. Please advise.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
when I had two sets of wires inserting into a wall plug, the motor started. But today even I do the same thing, it will trip the breaker.
Expert:  Mike G replied 12 months ago.

I'll need the nameplate information on the motor. Also, do you have a multimeter for testing?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The motor is inside GB 031-707 box. I do have a multi meter 38XR.
Expert:  Mike G replied 12 months ago.

Is there a switch on the box?

Expert:  Mike G replied 12 months ago.

I checked online for a schematic for that blower. Unfortunately I'm on a smart phone and can't get a good view of it. Your question should go to an appliance expert, so I'll opt out. Stand by for the next expert.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** this automatically be transferred to an appliance expert?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, there is no switch on the box