Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator that is at least 15 years

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator that is at least 15 years old. It is model number
ED25PQXDW01
Serial number SF2613954
The motor or compressor is beginning to make loud noises every time it cycles on.
Would it be worth a service call and possible replacement of one of those items? or is it more reasonable to just trash it and purchase new rather than waste the potential repair dollars?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Is the noise like a humming /buzzing sound when it is first starting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much louder than that
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that is not good. A new compressor is about $400, labor $300 or more. I would replace the refrigerator. That unit uses nearly three times the electricity as a new one, too. I would definitely invest that money into a new refrigerator.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!