Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My GE Profile dishwasher won't drain. I checked all the

Customer Question

My GE Profile dishwasher won't drain. I checked all the lines for blockage and they are clear. The last expert told me to replace the drain pump (even though the original one was working) and that didn't fix the problem. The pump turns on at the rinse
cycle but just hums. When I remove the pump from the housing and start the rinse cycle, the impeller spins fine. At a loss here. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now.

If you remove the drain hose from the trap or siphon gap will it drain into a bucket?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying to help. I'm not home now but will try this when I get home this afternoon. Please explain where the trap and siphon gap are and where I remove the hose from. If the trap is the container under the filter screen in the back middle of the tub, I don't recall seeing a hose coming out of the. Looking from the bottom I recall there being a hard plastic fitting that attaches to the bottom of that trap. Is that the siphon gap?

OK if you have a cap next your sink that is a siphon gap, if so remove the cap and then pop out or unscrew the center piece of the siphon gap exposing the inside, check that for debri as that is the most common reason for that not to pump out, then let me know.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the air gap is up by the sink. I'll check that later today and let you know whats up. When I blew through the hose from the dishwasher to the air gap it was clear so I doubt that's the problem but we'll see.

Check it out and see and then remove the drain line from the siphon gap and see if it drains into a bucket, if not you will have to pull the dishwasher out and check the check valve on the dishwasher for a blockage.