Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Maytag washer MAH8700AWW 3E code

Customer Question

Maytag washer MAH8700AWW 3E code
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

3E means that your control board thinks your motor is struggling. Open the door and turn the drum to make sure the drum still spins smoothly. If so, then unplug the unit and see if the error pops up as soon as you plug the cord back in. If so, you need a new control board, otherwise you need a new motor if the error doesn't pop up until after you start a cycle.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your diagnosis. Since my washer works after I work on it for a while; I thought the problem was something minor. Replacing the control board is not an option to me now, due to the cost factor and the age of the washer. The cost of a new control board can cost upwards of $500.Please cancel my trial membership and return the money to my credit card.James Schubert
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I can't control what fails on your appliance but now you know what's causing the problem.