Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a GE Range model # JB640S P2SS. All works fine oven

Customer Question

Hi, I have a GE Range model # ***** P2SS . All works fine for regular oven and stove use. When i go to self clean mode it says "lock Door" even though it is locked. I opened up top and got to micro switch for lock. I thought i should have been able to pull plug on switch and jump the switch out by connecting both wires with out switch. I did just that and went to try to start regular bake but it said "door locked". Okay, thought that could be normal since switch was jumped out but when I went to to self clean it, it still said lock door. ???/ I hooked all back up the way it should be and all still worked fine except the self clean still says " lock door" . Why wouldn't jumping the switch out work? ( I was just trying it to see if it was the switch.) I thought it was just a interrupted circuit that connected when the switch closed. By the way, I checked continuity on the switch and it said open circuit in both positions telling me the switch is the problem but still wondering why jumping out switch didnt work.. (2 wires go to switch) . I may be crazy but it seemed both wires had almost 60 volts in each when checked with volt meter, Red lead to wire, black to ground/unit shell. can you please explain any of this? Especially the switch jumping not working and the volt thing. If thorough I will pay more then requested amount and I am not greedy or cheap. Thank You
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Does the door lock motor turn when set to self clean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its manual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it pushes a switch when engaged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The switch i described

OK I see yiou latch kit now, If jumping that switch out did not work check the wiring from the switch to the board, if that is good then you would have a bad board, just make sure you have a good jumper. There is no other reason that would not work at all.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems as though my description is not being thoroughly seen. If i unhook the switch then test the switch for continuity in both positions, the reading does not change. There is not continuity.at all no matter what. Thats why i am going on here. Yes, jumping switch did not work but also switch will not connect inside, no continuity. Plus I mentioned that both wires show voltage readings.

The wires may show a voltage reading from the board, Have you checked the wiring from there to the board?