Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

Have a GE CCGS985 range new just converted over to propane.

Customer Question

Have a GE CCGS985 range new just converted over to propane. The left front burner has a lopsided flame - large at the front. Have already received a new burner from GE, same result. All other burners have nice even flames.***@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

And CCGS985 is not showing up as a good model number in the GE data base.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Range is a GE Cafe series, #cc2s985set6ss. ser#lf568289p. Have received a new burner from GE, installed the choke from the old one and no change - still an unbalanced flame. Made a mistake on email account - should be***@******.***
thanks, ***** *****

Thank you! But the GE data base is saying no such match on the model number .

Are you in the U.S?

And we can only converse through this web site.

So email is not needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in Canada - this unit is sold through many outlets here including Sears and Lowe's, Black's here in Kingston, Ontario. Dik
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent full model#cc2s985set6ss earlier. Ser.#lf568289p

Ok I will opt out it could be because you are on Canada that it why it does not come up in the GE Data base.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was hoping because of your experience that you would be familiar with gas/propane ranges and have some insights to burner problems. Dik
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.

Is this the right front burner - the max output burner ? And if so , when converting to propane , besides changing the orifices , the right front also ( usually ) needs the small round part and the small screw to hold it - which should have been packed with the range and also in the insrtuctions for propane conversion.

OK , sorry , I see it is the left front. Right front takes the choke. Remove the burner and look down in the hole - where the orifice is attached is it slightly cocked , in other words the tubing is bent making the gas flow not centered with the center of the burner ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Take another look - the left front burner(large one) takes the choke. The right front has the 4 orfices . The left front is the one with the irregular flame - I took the choke out, and the flame still is uneven, leading me to think that the choke is not the problem. Dik

OK remove the orifice and look in it for a burr , on LP gas these are quite small holes anyway and wouldn't take much to disrupt a normal flame and like I mentioned previously see if the orifice is not cocked some way so that it is not aligned with the bottom of the burner correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have ordered a new orfice from GE, hope it will be here early next week. Will let you know how it works out. Dik

Yes, let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled orifice, ran a wire through it and looked at it with magnifying glass - seems OK. Still burns off to one side (checked the burn without the burner in place, and you can see that the flame is crooked). Suspect that the stuff under the top is tilted to that side, not put together properly/aligned. Will I have to remove the top and look underneath or can the yoke that holds the orifice be adjusted from the top using the top 3 mounting screws? Dik

Remove all the screws from every burner and lift the top up to see it better and easier to work on it.