Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My wife opened the oven door on viking range and turned on

Customer Question

my wife opened the oven door on viking range and turned on the oven to heat up the kitchen. After about 30 min the power went off. She switched the breaker on but the range has no power. The power is in the outlet but the light in the oven and ignitors dont work. Is there a thermal switch that I can switch on VGSC306 ? I can light up burners but need a lighter to do it.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been waiting for the answer for 2 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When I was signing up with payment, I chose the one with 1 day response or less. ???????????????????????
Now it says that expert are reviewing the questions. I went and monitored the answer room, and names of experts with pictures were showing up, then final review and still nothing. Is it a scam, or what ????????????
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There is a high limit switch, but it should reset with a power cycle. See the excerpt from the service manual below. Have you power cycled the range?

HIGH LIMIT SWITCH

VGSC306 Gas Self-clean Ranges Function: The High Limit Switch (located on the clean lock bracket) is designed to keep the temperature from reaching a run away condition. The switch is a normally closed switch that will open when the temperature, at the clean lock bracket, reaches 275°F. The Switch contains a heater that will keep it from cycling at the high temperature. The Switch will only reset when the supply voltage to the range is interrupted.

(Unplug the range cord or interrupt the voltage at the fuse / breaker box.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you be more specific on what is a clean lock bracket. Also, as I have written, the fuse in the box in my basement blew out. After turning it on, no response from the range. Is if possible that the high limit switch will also turn off ability to use igniters, as well as all the lights in the oven. PLease, let me know more specifically where to find the switch and it I can short it (for few seconds) to see if it is the problem. Thank you
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

That thermal only affects the heat. If the range is totally dead, there has to be a problem with the power to the entire range. I am sorry, I misunderstood the problem. If you have verified voltage to the outlet the range is plugged in to, you will likely find a wire has shorted (causing the fuse to blow) and will need to be repaired.