Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My front loading whirlpool duet washer will not speen or

Customer Question

Mike, My front loading whirlpool duet washer will not speen or drain the water, it just have a dragging or scraping sound when it is on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So first, the washer will not spin if it can't drain the water out. So if the washer won't drain, then that is causing both problems. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so. Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down and off. There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor. This is your drain cap. Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch. If you find nothing and the drain hose is clear, replace your drain pump.

Other than that, if the washer really is draining but the clothes are just soaking wet because it's not spinning, that scraping noise means that the bearing on the rear outer tub has either failed or the inner basket support has a broken arm so it's scraping as it rotates. That is a major repair and would require a technician unless you're extremely handy because the entire outer tub will need to be removed and then split apart in order to remove the inner basket and replace the faulty part.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.