John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I cleaned my whirlpool oven, 27" single wall oven,the night

Customer Question

I cleaned my whirlpool oven, 27" single wall oven,the night before Thanksgiving and I cannot open the oven door. It is only 3 years old. It is a wall oven and we are not able to get to the back of it. . There is nothing showing on the info panel. Absolutely black. Turned the breaker off and on several times,no response. HELP
I called Sears repair and they wanted $249 just to come out, or else pay $99 a visit and $39.99 a month for insurance on all my kitchen appliances. Turned that down. I am a little more than upset that a 3 year old oven doesn't work. I had my old Whirlpool oven for 27 years with never a problem, still worked when I 'upgrated.'
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

This model has a thermal fuse in behind the control board if the unit gets too hot the thermal fuse can go and that kills voltage to the entire unit.

But to get to it you will have to unlock the oven door.

which will need a wire hanger bent in the shape of a L and go in between the top of the oven door and the grill above the door on the right side of center.

Then turn the L so it is facing down and move it to the center grabbing the latch /lock lever and then move it to the left and pull the door open.

Now this may take you several tries to do this .

I have gotten able to do it just by feel.

Here is a link to the latch so you can see the silver latch arm you are trying to grab.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Latch/W10314880/2310804

The silver arm is on the right when in the oven the black arm is for the light is is on the left.

All you have to do is move the silver latch arm about 1/2 inch to be able to open the door.

Then once the door is open you can start removing the side vertical trim pieces to be able to open the console area.

Is this some thing you feel you can do?

Are you still needing assistance ,you have not replied back to me