Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My name is ***** *****. I have a subzero refrigerator, model

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have a subzero refrigerator, model 690. Freezer stays cold but the refrigerator is at 60 degrees with temperature set at 42. i have vacuumed the coils but no improvement.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the unit is over 10 years old. but has not been moved or worked on recently.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Can you remove the back panel in the refrigerator to look at the evaporator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to remove the unit from the wall or is this a panel inside the refrigerator?

The panel inside the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work now. I can communicate later today. 4:00?

Yes I am on all day till about midnight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told my unit might need freon,however, some of the internet stuff is suggesting a faulty thermostat since the Subzero 690 is a sealed unit. I might have to continue this conversation when I can take time to remove the contents of the refrigerator, etc. Do you think the thermostat could be the culprit? If so, how hard is it for a civilian to replace it?

I doubt the thermostat is bad for those temps in the freezer. I would check the evaporator frost pattern before doing anything else. Then you will know for sure.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get home around 5:00 and follow up by removing the panel you referred to yesterday. Thanks

Yes no problem