Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a subzero 601. At the temperature gauge, it said:

Customer Question

I have a subzero 601. At the temperature gauge, it said: Vacuum condenser which I did.
However, the drain line is frozen. I defrosted it with a hairdryer, cleaned the drain tube, but now , 24 hours later, it is fully frozen with a solid ice deposit across back of the frig. The vegetables are frozen on the bottom, and the temperature, which is set for 38 degrees, reads 44. Dont know what to do.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

The unit likely has a freon leak and is running too long hence the frozen line and the clean condenser. That was common on that unit and if you remove the back panel in the refrigerator you will find the evaporator frosty instead of sweating. You need a new evaporator that will run about $800-1100 for a company to install or you can get it charged up for a short time.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks