Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My GE under cabinet microwave makes a grinding sound when

Customer Question

My GE under cabinet microwave makes a grinding sound when running, it is not he motor to the turn plate, I still hear it when it is not connected. The sounds seems to come the venting up top. Any recommendations on how to correct/fix? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

That sounds like it could be the blower motor bearing, that is common and that cools the unit. You would have to take the unit down and the outer shroud off to get at that blower to check it out and change it. That is a job to do and the parts are not really cheap, so that is up to you whether you want to leave it as is or tackle that project.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the answer? A guess for the cost of $25? The noise is overwhelming. So living with it is not ideal. So you recommend I take it down and figure it all out on my own, thought this was for answers? Thanks.

I am not there or can hear it unless you have a video, the only thing that would make that loud of a noise when working would be the blower, if it is still heating. You have to take the unit down and apart to get at it so I am not sure what else you want, I can get you a video to help...but this is a DIY site as obviously I can not be onsite to see what you are seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate that, so your advice is to just live with it because it would be too difficult for me to do and the parts are too expensive, correct?

Can you get me the whole model number off the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, here you go - cvm207
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, here you go - cvm2072sm1ss

Got it, when you turn the exhaust blower on does it make noise and is it still heating ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does still heat, just makes that noise. Sometimes after running for a bit it sounds normal. Here is a video of the sound, hope it help. Sorry to be a pain, just bought this house and three days in this happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Video won't load.

Oh that is the magnetron tube buzzing, you need a new magnetron, that will not last much longer like that and the magnetron tube is very expensive. I would start shopping for a new unit honestly as that is about $200 just for the tube and the job is involved to do. The video loaded on my end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is normal for a two year old microwave to just break like that? To replace it it is over $1100. So per your diagnosis it is not worth trying to save?

I am not sure who paid 1100 dollars for it but they paid too much, I am not saying it is not worth trying to repair...often I do not know what people deem too expensive to repair. SOme think 200-350 to put into an over the counter microwave is too much money. Others do not. It is a decent microwave not worth 1100 dollars though more around the 400-600 dollar range. SO yes if it is cosmetically in great shape get it repaired it is not too old at all and will have some life left in it.

If you need anything else let me know. I will be leaving shortly for the night, all I ask for is a positive rating before leaving thanks and that will allow you to get directly back to me for any more FREE followup questions you have on this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that is what it cost. I am sorry I am a fool for buying. But since he rest of he appliances are GE cafe I need to match. If it was a magnetron wouldn't it not heat? It Is heating well. And according to this site the part is $60. Thanks. http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/search/part/314138/1652

Yes you can get an aftermarket mag tube for less for sure, they sell them all over the place. I do know the GE CAFE series are way overpriced for what you get. The Mag tubes will often buzz loudly but still will heat, but that will not last for too long like that. I would honestly just get a tech out to check it out it will be cheaper in the end as nothing in that crammed machine is easy to change if you have never done it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I was trying to avoid that and is the reason I used Themis diy site as you mentioned. So your final advice is get a tech and not try to fix?

Well here watch this video and if you are comfortable doing the repair then save some money and do it yourself. This will give you an idea what you are in for.

CLICK HERE

If you need anything more just let me know, I will be off for a bit tonight and back tomorrow, just please do not forget to rate me at some point with the star rating service thanks