Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

, I have a KitchenAid KUIS18NNTB1 Undercounter 18"

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a KitchenAid KUIS18NNTB1 Undercounter 18" IceMaker that has quit working.... several days ago it started shuttering and making loud noises and then all the lights went off. I thought it might be again a bad recirculating pump going bad, I ordered one. while it was being shipped to me, about 48 hrs, the units lights turned on and it started making Ice again. Only for about 24hrs and then again, it shut down, lights turn off. I received the pump, replaced it and nothing.... the unit will not come on, so I guess it's not the pump, any suggestions?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Appliance Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I am happy to help you. Do you know if your ice maker drains by gravity to the floor or is it plugged into a drain pump that pumps up a hose to a higher drain?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a pump that drains to a higher drain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pour water into the Ice Bin, the Pump works and drains the water.

Okay, thanks. Does the icemaker power cord plug into the drain behind or under the icemaker? I'm asking about the pump in the back at the floor not the pumps in and under the reservoir in the rear of the bin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to pull the Ice Maker out to check your question....

Okay, when you do look at the drain hose to see if it is kinked or blocked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Powercord plugs into the Pump is the answer I believe you are asking...

Yes. If the pump is not pumping fast enough it shuts off power to the icemaker when it hits flood stage. The pump keeps running and when the water lever drops it restores power to the icemaker outlet. This is your problem, either a clogged pump or twisted or kinked drain hose. The next time it stops if you plug the icemaker into the wall it will work proving the problem is the pump. Don't run it that way very long or it will flood without the pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me look into this issue and get back to you shortly.

Okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, I have investigated the drain line and it is clear, no kink hose, no obstructed hose, looks good.... I read somewhere about taking the ice make plug that goes into the pump and plugging it into a separate power outlet to bypass pump.... I tried that too. They unit still has no lights on the front of the unit?

When the LEDs go out if the bin light also goes out it would most times be the exterior drain pump. It could also be the control transformer or the control but I haven't seen them to be intermittent. Does the bin light come on when plugged into the wall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it dead right now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday, it was making Ice out of the blue.... then it quit during the night

Do you have a meter to test the transformer and for power aat the outlet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the outlet works, I had some cell phones charging before I removed them to plug the unit into the outlet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question, the pump below the Water Reservoir, does it have any Sensors?

The control transformer is behind the control area. It is 120vac input and has two outputs, 9 and 12vac.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say control area, you mean the front control area where the lights are?

Yes, behind that in the white plastic housing. It has the transformer and the control behind the touch switch. I never saw them intermittent but I have seen the transformer fail when the cutter grid wires short together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take a look and see if that is something in my wheelhouse but maybe not? I will get back to you....

Okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, I'm back... sorry had to eat dinner and I learned how to get to the transformer and the circuit board.... what a chore.... I have a volt meter but my skill level is novice as to using it. The transformer is hot but beyond that i'm not sure if I can get the information above that you are seeking.

The power into the transformer is 120vac on white and black. The yellow wires should be 8+ and the reds 12+ all ac volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, if I am using the Volt Meter correctly, if I touch the White and Black wire, the Meter reads 120/121 which is the 120vac as you would expect from the wall..... now, when I test the other wires, I should touch the red or yellow AND the Black, correct?If so, I get no reading on either the Yellow or Red Wires by touching the Yellow/Black and then Red/Black wires...

No, you use both yellows and both reds to read the output voltages. If the LEDs are on I would expect you to get the correct readings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Thanks for that clarification.... The Yellows give me 8.6v and the Reds give me 13.2v... As I said above, the LED's are NOT LIT since Friday when the unit cut-off again.

The problem is either the control or the touch pad. Here is how to get into diagnostics. Unplug the icemaker for a minute. Plug it back in and within 10 seconds press and hold the On and Clean buttons until the LEDs come on and it will cycle through. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing.... No response from the Unit

I'm looking for information for testing the user interface and control. One of them is the problem.

I'm not finding any test information for the touch switch. There are 10 wires going to it from the control, this would be the ribbon connector. The control is tested with diagnostics but since we can't get in it still could be either it or the switch. Let me look up the cost of the switch.

The switch is about $80 and the overlay is about $35. The control is $265. Pull the connectors off and on a few times and do the same with the ribbon connectors and see if it will come on before you order anything. I will give you part numbers if you want to order parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am away right now. I will not return until about 6 pm and I will respond at that time.

Okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, when I got home this evening, I read what you wrote and went to unplug the ribbon cable but when I plugged the unit back into the AC... it started WORKING..... the LED LIT UP and started cycling water.... I have the Top of the unit off as the control unit is attached to it and I am watching the unit work. I have the plastic control box sitting on top of the cutter grid.Well as I was writing this, it stopped working again!While it was working, I did try your previous suggestion to press the On and Clean Buttons.... but Nothing happened, it just keep cycling water across the cooling element.So, you think this might be the Control Board?

This starting to sound like the touch switch. If it was working the control might be okay but since it wouldn't accept the input from the switch it sounds like it COULD be the problem. It also could be a bad connection since it worked after moving wires. I would move connections to see what it takes to make it work. If the one at the control gets it to work it could be a bad solder joint on the control at the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, it only worked after I plugged the Ice Maker into AC leaving it unplugged for such a long time I guess. I did not touch any wires. I did press the On button to turn the unit Off and then Pressed it again to turn it back On... That did work! Just pressing ON + Clean did not do anything.... not sure what it was supposed to do, you never said.I did unplug the ribbon cable from the control panel and plugged it back, nothing happenedI'm not sure what else to do but flip a coin and order either a control board or a touch switch....

The On and Clean at the same time would put it into diagnostics and all the LEDs would come on for a while. I do think it is a coin flip as either part can cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dave, Since our last conversation, I Order and received a New Control Board. I installed it this evening. Having installed it and plugged the unit back in..... it began making Ice, then it made a sheet of ice, it released the sheet of ice onto the heat grid, after a little bit the LED LIGHTS when OFF again...... before the lights went off, it was my observation that I do not believe the heat grid ever turned on... ice just seemed to sit on top of grid for a while.I unplugged unit for an hour or so.....I plugged unit back into AC... now its making ICE again right now... I will add to this as I see what happens again if I get same results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After writing these comments, I went to check on unit..... it had shut off again, LED LIGHTs had turned OFF.Dave what are your thoughts now....?