Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I just bought a new dual-oven gas range off-grid cabin. It's

Customer Question

I just bought a new dual-oven gas range for my off-grid cabin. It's a GE pgs950sefss. Before I bought it I noticed a traditional electric heating element at the top of the lower oven. The salesman and the manual seem to indicate that that's used in convection cooking in the lower oven and for the "warm" feature. The range has a 120v plug (not 220v). My problem is that I just noticed on the cabin's electricity monitor that both ovens use 300-400 watts of electricity at least while they're warming up and even then, the electric usage seems to continue sporadically while I'm cooking. It's touted as a "gas range", and I'd prefer it not use any electricity other than for igniting, displays, etc. And interestingly, it seems to use 600-800 watts when both ovens are in use, yet I can only find one electric heating element. Might you have any idea what's going on and any suggestions of a work-around if indeed my "gas" oven needs electricity to cook? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The oven burners use an electric glowbar type igniter. That igniter needs to be on to keep the gas valve open during baking. The igniters are shown as numbers 76, 217 & 218 in the diagram at the link below. Each igniter draws about 4oo watts while on.

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly. Thanks for your prompt reply. That unfortunately makes total sense. I've got a few follow-on questions:1. Are there replacement/aftermarket glowbars that might consume less power?2. Do all gas ovens use that technology, such that they consume electricity pretty much all the time they're on?3. This range replaced a ten-year-old Wolf gas oven. Do they work the same way?4. If all gas ovens don't work this way, are there particular brands that maybe ignite the oven burners like the stovetop burners ignite (i.e., by that clicking-type igniter?Thanks Kelly.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There is no replacement igniter that will work to draw less energy. There are Direct Spark Ignition models, sure. All manufacturers have them, you just need to specify to the salesperson that you prefer that type of oven ignition system. They only spark at ignition. The model below requires no electricity at all.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Kelly. I've narrowed this down to Kitchen Aid's KSGG700ESS. It appears to have a spark ignition. When I used a watt meter on it in the store, I got essentially zero watts for regular bake, but 1200 (on constantly) for broil and convection broil and 900 (on and off) for convection bake and roast. I'm assuming the 1200 comes from the electric broil element. Two follow-up questions:1. How does the unit decide when to use the gas broil element vs the electric broil element?2. What's generating the 900 watt load? Is there an electric convection element? I couldn't find one on the parts diagrams.Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

According to the service information, that model has a 914 watt convection element, a 1200 watt broil assist element and a 1200 watt bake drawer element. The broil assist element will cycle on and off, depending on the broil setting, but will be mostly on. That range would not be a good choice for your application. If you are looking for low energy consumption, you will not find a true convection oven that does not use an electric element for convection. The model below has no broil element but still uses a 914 watt convection element and a warming drawer element.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Kelly. And thanks for the suggestion. Since we prefer the slide-in look, if the main difference between those two models is the annoying broil element, could we just remove the broil element? Unique situation, I realize.... Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.

No, the control would detect an issue with the element and show an error code.