Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Sunray stove, model GSK26RA.0GN, serial #N09070,

Customer Question

I have a Sunray stove, model GSK26RA.0GN, serial #N09070, age unknown. I have not used the oven for at least five years. When I try to start the oven, there is no hiss of gas coming through so it will not start. How can I make it start???
What's the easiest way to clean the top (burners, the top itself, etc.). Lot of grease because I was too exhausted taking care of my husband to clean each time I used it.
Please help.
Marian
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Can you get at the burner area in the oven?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean by the burner area. I have not attempted to remove the bottom of the oven at all.

Remove the bottom panel or open the drawer to see the burner area, let me know when you have it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please list all the instructions I need to solve this problem. I cannot continue this way since I am 83 years old, cannot kneel to get the bottom out, nor stand to do it, and need an able person with me to do all the steps you have to tell me to do. My email is:***@******.***. Thank you.

Maam, at your age and this issue I would get someone over to assist as you may need to light the oven which will be difficult for you to do.

1.Check the temperature dial on the oven and make sure it is in the "Off" position. If the oven's pilot light is designed to burn constantly and has blown out for some reason, you will leave the dial in this position while you light the flame.

2

Consult the owner's manual, if you have it, to locate the pilot light. If you don't have the owner's manual, open the oven door and look in the bottom of the oven for a small hole marked "Pilot Light" or something similar. It may be in the front and center of the oven or in one of the back corners.

3

Open the broiler door if you can't find the pilot hole in the oven's main compartment. Look for the pilot hole in the base of the broiler. If you can't find it there either, remove the broiler carriage and look for a labeled hole in the back of the empty broiler compartment.

4

Light a long match. Hold the flame beside the opening of the pilot hole. If the pilot is designed to burn constantly, it should light. If the oven is designed to be manually lit for each use, turn the temperature dial on slowly. The gas should ignite.

5

Remove your hand and the match immediately. Replace the broiler carriage if you removed it. Close the door.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the step-by-step instructions in lighting the oven. This is an electronic system and there is NO pilot light in any of the four burners or the oven. The problem is: when I turn the oven dial on there is no gas hissing to ignite the oven. I think I last used the oven in mid-December 2014.

If it is an electronic ignition with an ignitor system you will not hear gas and the if the ignitor is bad or not working properly the unit will never allow gas to enter the manifold. This sounds like you have a bad ignitor in the oven.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is always a hiss of gas when lighting the four top burners. Is it then normal to NOT have the hiss of gas in the oven? Is it safe to attempt lighting the oven with a match? I will have someone to help me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
02 December 2015 06:51

YEs you will always hear the gas hiss before lighting that is pretty normal for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I do to get the gas to come through so it is hissing when the electronic start kicks in? I need to start my oven and soon, so how can we solve my problem the quickest way? My free trial is almost
up and I'm getting anxious. You're probably getting tired of me, too!

Is it lighting up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to cancel my free trial as I'm not getting anyplace. My guru's response was "Is it lighting up?"
Is what lighting up??? My question was "What can I do to get the gas to come through?"
I thought it was $5.00 down and the balance was $25.00 if I stayed with the program, not the $31.00 that shows on my bank statement.