MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I had a small grease fire on the range top with no apparent

Customer Question

I had a small grease fire on the range top with no apparent damage to the range or hood. Vent and lights continued working that day. The next day, the lights in the GE ZV850 vent hood stop working. The fan remains fully functional. The filters definitely need cleaning, which I will do. The transformer appears to be most inline between the cooktop and exhaust duct but if the fan works, why would the lights not work, and how can this be fixed?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You will need and know how to use a voltmeter to solve the problem. Post back if you are so equipped. Only a proper diagnosis will reveal the trouble, so nothing else matters here right now as that will not help solve anything.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have one.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

I cannot help without one. If you get one then learn how to use it to measure voltage and then post back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

ok. I am not here 24/7, so if you happen to reply then be patient and you will hear back from me. No need to reply to this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I now have a voltmeter. Can you tell me what I'm checking for? Am I checking the transformer for output?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Locate the triac and jumper the brown to black and the lights should come on. IF they do then measure for DC volts between the orange and ground. Set the meter for DC volts and see if the reading changes from the lights off to the lights full on as you press the button for the lights. IF it does then replace the triac and if it does not the board has failed.