Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Repair a jenn-air microwave model JMV8208bas

Customer Question

repair a jenn-air microwave model JMV8208bas
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

What is wrong with the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The microwave does not heat. I have replaced the HV Transformer, Magneton, capacitor and HV diode.

Does it run fine? If so check the bottom switch on the door interlock it is likely burned out or melted causing this issue.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tested the lower switch. It is not burned out. I was normally open with infinite resistance, when I pressed the button the resistance went to zero. I also tested the upper and middle switches. The upper was normally open then zero when I pressed the button. The middle switch was normally closed with zero resistance and infinite resistance with I pressed the button.

Does the unit run fine and just not heat? If so can you get at the large black relay with two wires on it on the board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The microwave runs fine. I can hear the magnetron humming. I have the board tilted out. On the board there are two black relays about 1-1/4 high 1 wide & 1/2 thick both of the relays have two wires. On the circuit diagram the first relay is the RY7 Power Relay and the second is the 3 Tap Power Relay. With the microwave running I measured the voltage at the HV Transformer primary winding three connections, white blue and black. White to black 133 V and blue to black 116 V
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 25 minutes are you still working on this?

Yes I am still here I had to attend to a phone call for another customer. Jumper the two wires to the RY7 relay and see if it heats.