Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Maytag 2000 series ecoconserve washer and I'm

Customer Question

I have a Maytag 2000 series ecoconserve washer and I'm trying to soak clothes for 2 hours. When I do this, I stop it during the wash cycle and let it sit. I come back 2 hours later and there's water all over the floor. What am I doing wrong or is there something wrong with my washer?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There is a leak in the machine.

May I please have your complete model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much Kelly! Here is the model number: MHWE201YW00.
And then it also says SER is HL21648309 and type 832-A. I hope that helps too. If you believe there is a leak, can you also offer suggestions on what type of company I can call to look at it. Also, still want to make sure that the way I'm stopping to soak right in the middle of a wash cycle is okay on a front loader like this one. Thanks again and I will wait for your replyūüėä!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! The water should not leak, ever, no matter what. So, we need to find where it is leaking from. The most likely spot is going to be in the area of the rubber door gasket. During washing, water is not in that area long, it basically just splashes in there and out. So, I would look there first. Open the door and stretch the rubber gasket in all directions while looking with a flashlight for any holes or tears, paying extra close attention to the bottom and lower side areas. Let me know what you find, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you said looking for tears in the rubber gasket with a flashlight and didn't find any. Where should I look next? Bear with me, I have limited funds and a 2 year old so I will get back with you as quickly as I can. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Take your time, I am never in a hurry! Under the door, there is a removable access panel, shown as number 5 in the diagram below. There are three screws under that panel. Once removed, that panel will come off. Can you remove that panel and see if there is any water leakage marks or signs inside that cabinet?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is arguing with me saying that I did not clarify with you that there is water in the drum during the wash cycle when I stop to soak it. He believes that there is no way that a front loader would seal against the front of the door becUse there is insufficient pressure while it sits. Please explain this further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did take the panel out and there is signs of leakage down there. Now my husband is looking at the rubber gasket again and saying that there are 4 holes that don't look like they should be there. To me they look uniform, and he says no they are not.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The door is locked tightly closed with the door lock. It should not leak, even when full of water and stopped. The rubber door gasket seals against the glass in the door.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There are four drain holes in the gasket so water can drain back into the tub so it does not sit in the bellow and mold. See the picture at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition to the four holes, there are 4 slits in the rubber gasket itself. Are those supposed to be there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can take a picture and send it to an email address?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You can just post it here using the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to do that but I'm going to google it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to paperflip
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Above the text box is a little picture of a paper clip. Click on that and you can add a picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I can describe is that the slits are actually in the rubber.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal for them to be in the rubber? That doesn't sound right but I don't know.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

No, the only holes should be the ones at the bottom for the drainage. If you fill the tub with the bottom removed, can you see it leaking then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
out through the slices in the rubber
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we need to buy a new rubber gasket...is it easy to install?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Great, you got it!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly I thank you very much for your help. We will look into it. Have a wonderful holiday!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

You too, thank you very much!