Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The microwave in my GE Advantium oven just stopped working.

Customer Question

The microwave in my GE Advantium oven just stopped working. All other functions work but the MW.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Does the microwave look and act like it's working it just doesn't heat?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Everything on the Advantium appears to work, including the halogen lights. The microwave simply does not heat.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 months ago.

It sounds like you're on the right track. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.