Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a Jenn-Air S125 oven. Over the years I have replaced

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Jenn-Air S125 oven. Over the years I have replaced most of the stove top receptacles, module receptacles, and several elements. The mechanical clock does not work and hasn't for some time. Up until recently the self cleaning worked fine (even without the clock). Now the self cleaning will not work (light does not come on though fans do and safety lock works). I would like to fix this but also need to figure out what isn't working so I can jump it if needed to get it clean before I get the replacement parts. As a side note, I am and electrical engineer, so I have a full complement of diagnostic tools.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

Are you looking for the wiring schmatics for the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the manual. What I need help with is knowing which terminals to jump.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I only have the manual available, look on page 4-31 of it, the lock mechanism should be where you need to jump to see if it will heat. Had thing that this is about 20 years old and the diagrams suck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking at the diagram right now and looking for the lock mechanism. Is the lock mechanism on the top right (terminal 5 and 6)? Also, if the problem is the thermostat, can that be jumped?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Give me a minute to pull it up again.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

you should be able to jump 6 to neutral and if that does not work, jump out the thermostat with 5 to neutral to see if it heats up.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear, there are two components involved. One component is the timer block (left side) and the other is the mode select (Bake, Clean, Broil, etc.). You are referring to the terminals on the mode select, right? Where is the best place to jump to neutral?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

I think the problem is most likely the lock switch causing the problem. I would use even the frame of the range to get a neutral or a white wire should be neutral.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear, when you say "jump 6 to neutral" are you saying to unplug the wire going to 6 and connect the wire to neutral, or are you saying take the wire off terminal 6 and connect terminal 6 to neutral, or are you saying leave the wire connected to terminal 6 and jump both to neutral? Same question for terminal 5.
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

you need neutral go through the thermostat first, if the lock switch is bad there won't be neutral there. I am not sure on how to explain it to you, the picture should be obvious. But forgive me as I don't know how to explain this to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, perhaps I don't understand. I have a jumper cable which consists of a wire with an alligator clip at each end. I understand that neutral is connected to the metal chassis of the stove, but which terminal do I connect the other end to in order to bypass the thermostat or lock switch?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Just connect it at number 6, there would be no need to remove anything else since it is in the same circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear, I clip one alligator clip to terminal 6 and the other to neutral, right? And I leave the previously connected wire connected to terminal 6, correct?
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

YES

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Grounding pin 6 and then turning on the power caused the breaker to blow. What next?
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

For some reason the entire conversation from 25 November is completely missing from here.. I have to try and find it so we can continue

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any luck finding the original conversation?