John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Our 7 year old Bosch smooth glass top goes on the blink

Customer Question

Our 7 year old Bosch smooth glass cook top goes on the blink several times a day whether we are cooking or not.. It begins flashing an Error code of some type : E r 42 . I have figured out a way to reset from the cooktop, holding my fingers simultaneously on the - and the + and the clock buttons until I get two EE's flashing. Then I press the oven on/off button. After about 10 flashes I release everything and then ... sometimes the oven after a while will flash all E's and then a touch of the on/off button and we are good to go. That reset does not always work, but sometimes. More often than not we have to reset the over breaker at the fuse panel. We sometimes must turn the power on and off at the fuse panel multiple times before it all works again. Rarely can we get more than 3 burners to function simultaneously. So my question is ... what's going on? if known, how expensive of a fix is it? My wife and I are considering pulling it out and going with a gas cook top.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Can you double check that model number? It comes up invalid