MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

Refrigerator too warm, freezer too cold

Customer Question

refrigerator too warm, freezer too cold
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

The damper must be bad and not opening to let cold air flow into the fresh section as I assume there is no defrost issue and no ice blocking the return air paths. If you look at it you should see the door on it as open IF it is working; if it's closed then it's bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no the damper is open and cold air is flowing into the fridge. but the temp there is about 55 f. i just replaced the defrost thermostat and the coils are frosty but not frozen up. ive also previously replaced the defrost heater and the defrost timer.
could it be the REFRIGERATOR TEMP CONTROL THERMOSTAT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

I have made you an offer for the call. I will be around most of the day today but I don't sit here staring at the screen waiting for replies either, so be patient.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i prefer to continue via this system instead of an additional charge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
overnight the temp has normalized to 40 degrees f for the fridge and 20 degrees f for the freezer, the coils in the freezer are frosted up but not frozen. i will attach a picture. is this normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
picture uploaded
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

The coil is totally encased with ice- this should not be. You still have no defrost taking place, so you still have a failed part that makes this defrost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i replaced the heater coil in may along with the defrost timer, the defrost thermostat tested bad so i just replaced it. i tripped the defrost timer, but the defrost heater didnt heat up
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

You must have a bad connection somewhere as the heater needs to get power when in defrost..... IF all your visible and accessible connections are fine then you have a non-repairable problem here as you cannot fix wiring buried within the cabinet. I assume here that the defrost thermostat is cold enough to be closed when you tested this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i test the defrost heater? isnt there a circuit board that also might be the cause?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also read somewhere that you should replace the defrost heater when you replace the defrost thermostat
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

Get a voltmeter and see if you are getting power to the heater or not when you cycle this into defrost. The heater should have continuity. I pretty much assumed that you knew that the heater was fine as it would be highly unlikely it's bad snce you have replaced it previously. Replacing parts with no diagnosis is not going to be productive, so get a meter and make the check.

I am looking for a rating at this point.

Expert:  MRANSWER replied 1 year ago.

I would appreciate a rating for the help I gave you here. You have not asked anythimng else, so I can only assume I helped you get the answers you needed.