Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Samsung RFG298HDRS. I get ice build up below the

Customer Question

I have a Samsung RFG298HDRS. I get ice build up below the freezer pullout ben. It eventually will cause the freezer door to hang open far enough that we have the door dripping on the floor. I clean the ice that forms under the freezer ben and doesn't leak for 6 weeks and then it happens again. I first thought that there might be a bad gasket on the freezer, but they all look good. Its worth noting that we have been away for 8 months with freezer working and the door is not leaking. I was wondering if refrigerator needs to be balanced? Or any other ideas!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.