Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My lg fridge, model LRSC26925TT, SN 508KRWZ00881, has

Customer Question

My lg fridge, model LRSC26925TT, SN 508KRWZ00881, has bulging sides. It has bowed out on both sides and jammed itself between our countertops. It will not wheel out of the space its in. It looks like it's going to buckle our countertops on both sides.
What would cause this? How can I get it out? I have never heard of such a thing and neither had any of the sales people at Home Depot.
All of our appliances are LG that we bought new at Home Depot.
PLEASE HELP!
Jon Pierce (###) ###-####***@******.***
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! This happens occasionally and is caused by the insulation used in production. The insulation is an expanding foam type and is blown in from the bottom of the metal cabinet. It, of course, goes in as a liquid and dries and a solid foam, expanding to fill all areas. Sometimes the foam is not fully cured or develops air pockets and can settle during transit and will bow the sides. Usually, the issue is indents in the side rather than bowing out, but it happens both ways. There is not much you can do other than replace the refrigerator or modify the installation. If it is still under warranty, I would request it be replaced. It is obviously a manufacturing defect.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem is that this took over 3 years to develop. Wouldn't the foam have cured in place long before this? How do I get the fridge out to widen the space, or do I just wait until the counter tops are totally destroyed?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The foam has probably shifted and caused the bulging. The only way to get it out is by force. You could try placing a protective cover on the counter and use a wood block and a hammer to "persuade" the cabinet back to a size that allows movement. However, you do risk damaging the appliance but it is probably better than the cabinets and counter tops.