Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My wife places aluminum foil around sweat potatoes and set

Customer Question

My wife places aluminum foil around sweat potatoes and set the timer for 30 min. The micro heated up extensively and stopped working. I let it cool down and tried to use, it will not start. It happens to be a combo Micro and convection. help. Aaron
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is a rather large problem. It means that either the cavity thermostat mounted above the microwave cavity has overheated and continuity broke so you need to replace the thermostat, or the aluminum foil caused the magnetron to overheat and fail and now the magnetron as well as the safety thermostat on the side of the magnetron will need to be replaced to fix the issue. These are not things that you should repair yourself because microwaves can store up to 3000 volts even when not plugged in which can be enough to kill you if the microwave is not handled properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.