Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My whirlpool oven model electric was working fine last

Customer Question

My whirlpool oven model electric was working fine last night. I used the auto clean program and it had about 1/2 hour to go in its cycle when we had a power failure that lasted about 7 hours. I just tried to bake some bread and the burners will not heat up. The start mechanism works, but the burners won't heat either the top or bottom.--My husband just told me that my mom was wiping out the floor of the oven and lifted the entire heating mechanism.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you either have a faulty high limit thermostat or a bad display relay control board. Now the problem with these thermal fuses is that they are set at such a low tolerance that they will fail even when nothing is wrong if you run the unit through self clean since it gets so hot. You'll need to uninstall the entire oven and remove the back panel to access the thermal fuse you need to replace. To avoid the issue in the future, just turn the self clean time down to something like 2:30 instead of 3:30 or make sure you don't broil with the door cracked open. Below is a link to the high limit thermostat you'd be looking for. If you access it and you find that it does have continuity, then you'd need to replace the display control board.

CLICK HERE for high limit thermostat

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.