Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Whirlpool Washer, Model @WTW4900BW1, has stopped working.

Customer Question

My Whirlpool Washer, Model @WTW4900BW1, has stopped working. The light comes on, thel id locks and then unlocks without anything happening. I asked for help and was advised t "reboot it." I did and it worked once, and now does not. Rebooting again doesn't help. What to do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Have you run it through a calibration mode?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even know what a calibration mode is or how to do it. Sorry, that sounds too technical for me.

Well you can try this. Rotate the knob two full revolutions counterclockwise stopping at 12 oclock

Then SLOWLY (1/2 sec between clicks) rotate the dial

3 CLICKS forward

1 click back

1 click forward

All lights should light up if done correctly, then rotate the dial forward until only RINSE is lit and press start, see if it completes a calibrations and try it.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This model of Whirlpool Washer does not have dials. It has a control panel with buttons to push. When I push start, the sensor button lights and then the lid-lock button. Then nothing, until the lights go out.

It shows the dial on the break down?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the hoses. I have tried "rebooting" by unplugging, waiting, and then restarting. The washer is 16 months old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rebooting thing worked one time. What do you mean by asking if it shows the dial on the break down?

It shows a dial on your machine according to the model, if it is working great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the dial and I have tried setting it to different temps. I use Normal wash. Then after I press the start button, the light comes on indicating "Sensing." Then the light comes on indicating that the lid is locked. Then a very brief sound as if beginning to start doing something, and then the lid unlocks and the lights go out.

Just follow these instructions with the machine empty using the center dial

Then SLOWLY (1/2 sec between clicks) rotate the dial:

3 CLICKS FORWARD

1 CLICK BACK

1 CLICK BACK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The washer is down in the basement. Let me check to see if I can do as you suggest.

ok I may be out for a bit just respond back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll check back with you.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our connection was broken. My washer did not respond to the recalibration. Any more suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We never finished the conversation.

OK if your washer did not respond to any calibration you need to replace the control board in the console. That board goes bad all the time.\

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I received the statement today from my Credit Card Company. There are 2 charges dated 11-22-2015 from JUST ANSWER APPLIANCE totaling $28.00. So if they got paid, so should you. I am not unhappy with you in particular, but am not pleased with anything about the situation. Thanks for trying.

I understand, us techs only receive a small portion of whatever you paid JA only when you rate my service 3 stars or higher otherwise they keep everything and I receive nothing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't sound legal. (And my washer is still broken.)

I am just telling you how the site works us techs work for the site, have nothing to do with money taken from you and only are paid a small amount of whatever you paid the site only after a 3 star rating or higher is received..that is just how it works.