Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Chas My whirlpool dishwasher fills with water and then stops

Customer Question

Hey Chas
My whirlpool dishwasher fills with water and then stops
no wash cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

What is the complete model number off the unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a picture of the sticker. https://app.box.com/s/ipiea7hmzis6syp18ihnskdmlycrujt9

When that happens the most likely cause is the main motor. They seem to all fail as they are really a cheap motor with an electronic board on them that goes bad. If you remove the bottom panel and listen after it fills you may even hear it humming. This is the most likely cause. You can check it for 120 volts and see but I have replaced so many of them for that issue.

CLICK HERE FOR PART

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is only about 6 months old. The pump is running for a few minutes, and then it shuts off. I wait. Open dishwasher and there is water in the bottom. I read about the float valve could be the problem. Should I investigate that further and take off the front of the door?

You can but I would honestly wait for warranty service on it as you may have a control issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Really There isn't something I can check with an ohm or volt meter?

Yes check the motor with a volt meter, it maybe losing power but may not be either as the board on the motor may be bad like all of them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This isn't working. The motor has power. It runs. When there is a certain amount of water it stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I want to contrinue if all you can advise is for me to call Whilpool when open on Monday.

No problem you can remove the lower kick panel and check out the tech sheet to see if there are any errors on the unit as well, but honestly with it being that new I would not advise messing too much with it, but that is up to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to pay. It seems as if I need to wait. I was hoping for a quick fix

I dont want to work for free on Sunday but I guess I am today... take care