Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I need to calibrate the touch screen on a whirlpool vantage

Customer Question

i need to calibrate the touch screen on a whirlpool vantage wed7990xgo. the problem is i cant get to the calibration screen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Can you tell how far off it is and which direction it is off? Turn off the breaker for 3 minutes and try again and try to determine where you need to press to get a button to work. Then press in that direction from the Sound & Display button to see if it will allow you to select it. Pressing directly on the button will not work if it is that far off. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried that again and I believe it is too far off to allow me to select sound display. Is there any hard factory reset or do I need to get a tech out here.

There is not a reset but we can go into diagnostics, see if there is a code and see if that will reset the display. It is worth a try. Here is the procedure.

1. Be sure the dryer is not currently running a cycle (the in-progress screen should not be displayed). 2. From the perimeter of the LCD, select the Sound and Display option.

a. Select “Service Mode” from the available options on the LCD.

b. On the log-in screen, press 5, 6, 5, 6 within 5 seconds.

c. If the service mode has been entered correctly, a confirmation tone will sound and a service notice will appear.

d. Continue by pressing Enter.

e. The Diagnostic Homescreen will now appear

If there is a failure it will display and be ready to write it down. Use the arrow down button to go to the next code if there are more. Let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does nothing when I touch the sound &diaplay button, that's the problem I can't access it

Okay, that's not good. I had hoped there was a place to touch off the side that would allow you to enter diagnostics or calibration. Looks like you will need to replace the console electronics. It looks like the control was over $500 but is now no longer available. Sorry for the bad news.