John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a may tag oven roughly a 2007 stovetop and self

Customer Question

I have a may tag oven roughly a 2007 stovetop and self cleaning model and the elements all work and the oven light worked and the display was working but the oven itself will not work, at all. I flipped the breaker off and back on again and then the display stopped working as well but the elements still work. I know that the 15 amp fuse for the one plug in receptor on the stove top is burned out as I tested a small toaster and could not get any power to it and was not able to reset it but I am wondering if this may be that my power board needs to be replaced because there seems to be power to the oven and the stove top works.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Alex Herbert replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** will be happy to answer your question. On some Maytag models there is a thermal fuse on the back. The element wire would go into a thermal fuse and then to the control. The thermal fuse should have continuity threw it. If yours does not have a thermal fuse, test for power at the bake and broil element. Also test to make sure you have correct power st the terminal block even though the top elements work. Check for loose or bad connections on the control and at the elements. If all looks good, your control would need to be replaced. Also make sure the control is not on child lock or display mode. Child lock normally says LOC when you push a button. Display mode shows features of the range. UNPLUG THE UNIT PRIOR TO TESTING. DO NOT TEST ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS UNLESS YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING SO. TEST AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if my model did have a thermal fuse it would be located on the wiring before it goes into the control board is that correct? and it would just look like one of those normal car fuses you can pull out and replace? If so then I do not see a fuse like that on mine. When you say test for power at the bake and Broil element, do you mean put on end of the multimeter inside the oven on each side where the bake element comes into the oven on each side? and same for the broil? I do not see any lose or bad connections anywhere everything looks very clean and put together. The unit is currently unplugged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a display mode button or a child lock button on mine model

I showed one of the diagrams with the fuse so I mentioned it. No it does not look like a car fuse. It is a round disk the diameter of a quarter and about 1/2 inch tall. Some have a red button in the center to reset them others need to be replaced if they are open. You need to unplug the range cord from the wall and test for continuity at the bake and broil elements instead of voltage. Take the rear lower panel off the range and unplug it. Disconnect the wires from the bake element first. Use your meter to test for continuity. Your meter should move to indicate resistance. Test the broil the same. Look for the thermal fuse on the back of the oven behind the panel if it has one. Take the back metal panel off so you can see the back of the control. Look for broken or bad wires. Also look at the terminal block for broken wires. Do your elements on top work the same as always or do they heat really slow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me get a better multi meter and try these suggestions, I will let you know what I find.

Please rate my service by using the star rating system at the top of the page. This is how I am credited for my time. If you have any additional questions about this issue, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com. Have a great day.