Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a whirlpool range that the bake will not come on. The

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool range that the bake will not come on. The broiler comes on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a significant delay in responses. Please be patient and often I will ask you questions to narrow down the issue to get is diagnosed correctly.

Does the ignitor get power and glow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No glow but I hear it clicking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do smell gas when it's trying to ignite

OK if you hear the ticking the unit should have gas flowing to it can you remove the bottom panel and check to see if the electrode is sparking? Often the electrode wire may be rubbed through or touching ground behind the drawer then the electrode does not spark and thus no lighting. Check it out and see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it open and see no spark.

Yes remove the drawer and move the wire to the electrode out and inspect it, make sure it is also plugged in as well. Then try it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me try

ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not firing.

Ok the problem is the wire from the spark module to the electrode is shorted to ground somewhere sometimes you have to change the wire out or trace the shorted spot out, often it is where the wire makes a bend across the sheet metal, it chaffs through and that happens.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING LINK on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me try that

Ok sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working.

Ok if you hear the clicking then replace that wire to the electrode it is bad.