Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Troubleshooting Cuisinart EV-11pc9

Customer Question

troubleshooting Cuisinart EV-11pc9
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If it makes no noise at all, the issue is probably that the thermal fuse in line with the motor has opened or the safety switch is open. There are no service parts listed for this model (see link below), so it will likely need to be replaced.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not clear on your response. Do you mean that either the fuse is blown or a safety switch is open? Where can I find these to see if the problem is really one of these two? As I said on my question, current is passing by since the red light comes on, but there is no movement or operation from the appliance. Can you be more specific? If the fuse was open then the red light should not turn on. Right? Thanks in advance if you can give additional info.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The motor is protected with a thermal fuse, in line after the power and right before the motor. The lights would still come on, just the motor will not get energized. The thermal fuse would be inside the unit. The video below shows what it is.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I will open the unit and check on this as soon as I return home on Tueday. If it is indeed the thermal fuse, do you know a site where I can get the one for my appliance which is different from the one in the video? Also, where is the safety swithch which was the other thing you mentioned that could be the case if it is not the thermal fuse? Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The fuse will have a number on it, I will need that number. The safety switch is what detects the bowl and cover locked into place, if yours has one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I just opened the equipment and there is no thermal fuse in line between the power and the motor. see photos
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a meter to test to see if the motor is getting voltage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter, but as you can see on the attached photo there is no access to access the terminals. When I tried to trace the wire to the other end at the pc board, it is covered with some kind of gel so no contact. Also, I am including a second photo now which shows to black cylinders, one says motor start and the other says motor stops. Do you know what are these? When I check for continuity with my meter while disconnected, the one that says motor stars don't show anything. However, the one that says motor stops, when I check for continuity while disconnected it beeps as it was shorted or with continuity. Not sure if this helps. When I have the appliance turn on, and I checked the voltage at these two black cylinders, they show no voltage. It looks like the way this device was designed, was not for easy troubleshooting. Thanks for whatever you can suggest at this stage.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I cannot see the parts you refer to but I suspect it is not going to be able to be repaired. There are no service parts listed. I believe it will need to be replaced.