Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a chest freezer that is less than 3 years old that

Customer Question

I have a chest freezer that is less than 3 years old that was recently unplugged, defrosted and then moved.
After plugging the unit back in, it does not seem to be getting any power.
The model is Kenmore -(###) ###-####
The light on the front of of the freezer is not coming on nor is the interior light. The compressor is not starting either. The freezer is in great condition, the coils are clean and it was not dropped to my knowledge.
Any assistance on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that would cause this issue would be the thermostat or not getting any power from your house. If you're certain it's getting 120 volts from your house as well as neutral, you'll need to turn the knob on the side of the freezer to adjust the temperature and see if the unit will kick on. Also, run an extension cord to an outlet you know is working just to be certain you're getting power and neutral. If if it still won't work, then the thermostat is just bad. Sometimes something as small as unplugging the refrigerator can create a small spark which will short out thermostat. Below is a link to the thermostat you'd need to order and replace which is connected to the knob that you turn to adjust the temperature. The part number is(###) ###-####

Below is a link to the thermostat and it's only $13.

CLICK HERE for thermostat

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,There is definitely power going to the unit as I have another freezer plugged into the same outlet. I unplug that one and plug in the one that isn't working directly after. Also I did test a couple components when it was plugged in and 120V was running to those spots.When the dial is turned there is nothing that happens. I left it plugged in and with the thermostat set to full for an hour to be sure and nothing.If this is just a thermostat issue thank you very much. I will order the part.Richard
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

It should be just a thermostat issue. You can unplug the 2 wires going to the thermostat and put a jumper wire in between the 2 wires to bypass the thermostat and make sure the compressor kicks on and such if you knew how to do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in rating but I wanted to try the thermostat. I ordered and have installed the one that you recommended.The front power lift now comes on when it is in the off position and turns off when I turn the thermostat control on.Please advise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

I would imagine you mounted the thermostat upside down.