Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator sounds like a hammer.

Customer Question

My Kenmore bottom freezer refrigerator sounds like a jack hammer. Noise stops when door is opened. Can you tell me what is the problem please.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The noise your describing sounds like either the icemaker or the fan behind the back panel in the freezer is jammed or hitting ice. I would unplug the icemaker and see if the noise continues, if so then either unplug the unit for 24 hours and allow everything to thaw out, or if you're handy you can remove the back panel inside your freezer and thaw all the ice/frost behind this panel since it's apparently interfering with the fan blade.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.