Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
6636336

GE Monogram ZIRS36NMDRH How do we remove the defrost timer?

Customer Question

GE Monogram ZIRS36NMDRH How do we remove the defrost timer? We cannot locate it and believe it to be the problem we have.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

For some reason the defrost timer was left off of the parts breakdown diagram, but the timer will either be mounted up above the refrigerator behind the service panel where the compressor is located, or it'll be inside the same box as the thermostat where you turn the knob to adjust the temperature for the refrigerator or freezer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It isn't in either place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No one else has contacted me and it has been over 24 hours.
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 1 year ago.

On this model the defrost control is located up top ( remove the top grille ) , near the compressor , held on to a metal baffle by two screws. You can see the two screws and a small hole in the baffle , through which you can see the knob you would manually turn with a flat blade screwdriver to manually turn the control. Part number is ***** , which you can see at www.repairclinic.com

Did you get my message and if so please rate my answer as that's how I get paid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Several people have looked for this and we cannot find it near the compress. Can you provide something more to help find it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far your answer has not helped me. I cannot find this part and I've looked. Any diagrams?

The service manual shows it near the compressor . If you look at the compressor where the wires go to the plastic cover on the compressor , go up about 10 inches and then toward the metal shield that sticks out . The timer is mounted to the back side of the shield , with the screws holding it from the front side. Hold a mirror up there if you still can't see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no timer to be found. All parts near the compressor are the capacitor, hot coil, fan motor, fan and cover plate and wires.