Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Recently (10/13/2015) i had a service call on my wcv6600h1ms

Customer Question

recently (10/13/2015) i had a service call on my wcv6600h1ms washer (purchased in 02/2008) because of the smell of burning rubber.
the technician wrote the call up as customer education and said it was due to an unbalanced load.
he commented that it would probably be more economical to just buy a new washer than to get it fixed.
this past week the burning smell reappeared and the washer shook violently. we drained the outlet in the front of the washer and what looked like pieces of a rubber gasket came out.
i am now trying to weigh the cost of a repair vs. the purchase of a new washer.
i called the answer center and the gentleman there said that today a gfwr2705hmc washer was the most comparable and the mfg suggested price was $1200.
the washer is only 7 yrs old. i think our last one was replaced at about 15 yrs of age.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If it is shaking violently and you are finding rubber bits and getting odors, the issue is probably with the rear tub bearing and/or suspension related. Was the machine noisy the last time it worked fine without shaking badly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my wife said it progressively got noisier and shook more.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I would agree, time to replace the machine. Repair will cost a lot and for that age of machine, it would not be a wise investment.