Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Some rust is showing up on top edeg of bottom front panel

Customer Question

some rust is showing up on top edeg of bottom front panel below door on front load maytag washer. MFW9600sq. Washer works fine but concerned about rust damage. Is it easy to repair? I see two bolts one at each end of panel at bottomw edge.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

Your missing the last numbers on the end of the model number.

And are you talking about item #5 in this parts break down link.

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/2/0/00042235/680/900

And have you try using some soft scrub cleanser to remove the rust?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MFW9600SQ0 That's it right from the machine. The rust must be caused by a leak of some kind. I need to know the cause. We have cleaned it before and it comes back. I don't need advice on cleaning, I need to know the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is coming from the very top of part 5 in the center

ok then you needed to say that I`m not a mind reader!

You asked if the rusted panel could be repaired .

You need to remove the lower panel (screws under the panel ) and run a load to see where or if it is leaking.

You have several places the unit can leak from ,you will need to be my eyes and tell me where it is leaking or if it is leaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woody, sorry if I sound impatient. Apologize. I will remove the panel and check it out. I am pretty savvy on diagnosing things. I need to go out now. Can I respond later in the day. Should only be one more exchange required if that.Thanks

sure ,Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Woody,
I ran it throw the complete cycle. No apparent leaks. The rust is really on the bottom center underside of part 4 right behind a slot opening about an inch or two in length at the bottom center of part 4. I found a small rubber toy (lizard) stuck under the rubber seal on the inside of part 4. I'm thinking that it might of caused the small leak and rust build up. Otherwise the machine works fine. Part 5 cleaned up just fine.

ok if your getting any water on the bottom of part#4 .

I would suspect that you have a issue with the rubber boot / gasket that seals the outer tub to the metal cabinet and to the door.

I would replace the seal , the manufacture calls it a bellows.

here is a link to the part it also has a installation video on replacing the part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Boot-Seal/8182119/1027300?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.

.