Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I have a frigidaire FRS26ZSH. It slowly stopped cooling,

Customer Question

I have a frigidaire FRS26ZSH. It slowly stopped cooling, both freezer and fridge. It has been turned off since this AM. It still made a noise, and the fan blew warm air into the fridge. How can I tell if it is out of freon, or if the compressor is burnt out? How do I fix either of them myself, and at what cost? Should I just get a new fridge? What do you recommend for a space H 67 3/4, W 36 1/8, and D 29 1/8 (of if deeper than that). The space has a wall right up against right side so unable to open current french door fully, and just cabinets flush with fridge on left.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

hello, was there any frost build up in the freezer section that you noticed ?on the lower panel ? is there a clicking from the compressor every few minutes ? ..its hard to diagnose if the unit is unplugged ...your garage fridge reqs a main board ,if the flapper is constantly opening and closing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not notice any frost build up. I can plug it back in to check on clicking from compressor.. I found the main frame for $300 but understand Whirlpool covers it..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a subtle clicking noise every 25-30 seconds.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

yes , if you can plug it in would be good ,and see if you hear any clicking ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a subtle clicking noise every 25-30 seconds. Kind of gets low first, then a click..
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

like a hum 8-10 secs and then a click ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hums the whole time, then gets a little lower volume for 0.5 second, followed by a click or a "turning over". This occurs every 30 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually revs up like a little engine right before the turning over click... this happens every 30 seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is air slwoly being blown into the fridge. It is not cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

sorry , not sure what happened ..but that is the compressor trying to start ,if it cant start there is no cooling .it will click off on the overload after it tries for a short period ..doing a compressor change is a expensive repair ,it reqs specialized equipment ,freon and a torch ,it is a $700-$900 repair if no warranty left ..sometimes if the electricals to the compressor burn up it is just those parts needed but thats a small percentage of the time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm.. So likely on to a new fridge? Do you have a best bet for the spot I have for it, with wall perpendicular to front face of fridge on right (so unable to open right hand door past 90 degrees), and dimensions of space 67 3/4 H and 36 1/8 width and 29 1/8 deep? Prefer french doors with freezer on bottom.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

most of the fridges are standard and the french door models have cams on the bottom so they can be limited as to how far they will open each door can be adjusted