Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE refrigerator and the mid section got hot. I

Customer Question

Hello, yes. I have a GE refrigerator and the mid section got hot. I removed the grill on the back, cleaned up but the fan does not work.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The mid section gets hot because the compressor is overheating and that is usually due to the fan not running which you have already confirmed. Now you just need to test power to the fan motor to see if it's getting power or not. If it's not getting power, then replace the control board which sends power to the fan motor. If it is getting power but the fan isn't running, replace the fan motor.

If you don't have a multimeter to test power/voltage, then feel the fan motor. If the fan motor is hot then it's getting power for certain so replace the fan motor. If it's not hot, then likely the control board needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I can see that the assembly; wether the board or the fan will be too difficult for me. Thanks for your help. I dont mind rating you, but I dont think you can help much under the circumstances.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Everyone has their limits of course, but unfortunately I can't control your abilities---I can only tell you what needs to be done which is what I have done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I do authorize the $5, but please do not charge anything above that.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

The question was $28, that has already been charged to read my answers. It was $5 just to ask the question.