Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Top section of agitator sounds of gears grinding and

Customer Question

Top section of agitator sounds of gears grinding and slipping when have full load. (large)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. If the bottom of the agitator isn't moving, then you have a faulty transmission. If the bottom of the agitator still works but the top doesn't move much, you have bad agitator dogs. Below is a video on how to replace the agitator dogs. The top part just pulls away from the bottom part, but sometimes you need to use a lot of force, or a long flat head screwdriver to pry on the little plastic clips inside the agitator to allow it to release. The part number for the agitator dogs is 80040.

CLICK HERE for agitator video

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.