Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Ge microwave is doing everything, but now it is not

Customer Question

My Ge microwave is doing everything, but now it is not heating any food this afternoon. It was working this morning. The model #'s is JES 1656SR255, and the serial # ***** ***** Thanks for your time in this matter. Kevin
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like you're on the right track. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $160 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.